Wednesday 12 February 2014

Day three...

Well, here I am on day three and so far so good. Yesterday evening I went to the supermarket for food, and I would normally have picked up a couple of bottles of red. But I resisted going near the wine aisle. It was quite easy really, and I felt good about it too. Whilst I was cooking the meal I drank tea and glasses of water, which seemed to help. I drank water with the meal too and didn't seem to miss the glasses of wine that would usually go with it. So, does all this seem too good? Well yes and no. I have been here before, and managed to stop drinking to try and lose some weight, and that has been ok for around two weeks. After that I have fallen back into the old routine again. So what is different this time? Well for one thing, I am putting all this down in writing. Whether anyone else reads it is not the main point. The fact that I am writing a diary of how I am feeling about my lack of drinking, will certainly help me. If there is anyone out there who reads this and would like to comment in any way, that would be an added bonus.

There will be another test later this week. My wife and I are going for a short break in a hotel - just for one night. I don't really want to make a big thing of not drinking to her, but I want to keep up my abstinence. I would normally have a glass of wine or two and perhaps a couple of pints of beer. Perhaps I am afraid to talk to her about how much of a problem my drinking has become. She has enough worries without me adding to them. But then again, she has seen me drinking for years and seen some of the effects that it can have on me and us. She has tried to talk to me about my drinking before and explained how she feels when I open yet another bottle. Up to now, this has made me feel guilty, but I have continued. So, one day at a time, and I'll be back here tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment