Thursday 13 February 2014

Day four...

Hi again, here I am on day four. Last night I cooked a meal as usual, and again I refrained from drinking. I just tried to put it out of my mind and concentrate on the food. There is a bottle of beer in the rack, which I bought a couple of weeks ago, and a brief thought crossed my mind that it would be nice just to open the bottle and drink whilst I am cooking. Then I remembered what I had read on another blog - The Sober Journalist I think (highly recommended by the way!) that the point is not that I can't drink, but that I can if I want to, but I just don't want to. I intend to leave that bottle where it is to keep reminding me of this. I know it's a danger, but I think the way my brain works it will help. It felt sort of empowering to know that there is a bottle there and I just said no to myself. 

Today, we are going away for a short break. We are both looking forward to this as we both work long hours and we need a break. The trouble is that we are staying in a country hotel that has a nice restaurant and...wait for it... serves high quality cask ales. Now normally that would make my eyes light up with glee. The thought of making a few pints of good ale disappear down my throat would seem like an excellent idea. So now I'm wondering how the trip will pan out. As I said before, I don't want to make a big deal of this to my wife. I suppose it would be like admitting that I have a problem to her, and I suppose that I'm not ready to do that just yet. I could abstain on the basis that I'm trying to shed a few pounds, but she would expect me to have at least one drink with our meal. I'll let you know how I get on...

No comments:

Post a Comment